Bagpipe Instruction




Since I began piping over 20-years ago I have had an interest in teaching and have been dedicated to preserving and promoting traditional music. Learning the instrument in school, I was expected to help the beginners along. This was when I discovered that I thoroughly enjoyed teaching pipes. I have been teaching private lessons since 1996.

Studying the Highland bagpipe is both challenging and fulfilling. It teaches dedication, self-motivation and tradition while giving you a source of pride and accomplishment. Students of all ages are welcome and no previous musical experience is necessary. Although any musical skills you already have will certainly help.

The Highland bagpipe is said to be the most difficult instrument to learn. I disagree. In fact, I believe that many instruments are far more difficult to learn. However, the Great Highland Bagpipe is by far the most physically challenging instrument to play. Therefore, dilligent practice and conditioning are required to maintain a level of proficiency.

I expect the most from my students in the way of practice and responsibility. The more quality, productive time a student can spend with the instrument, the less frustrating the experience will be and the more fun the student will have. The dilligent student will be rewarded with a skill and art form that is both ancient and beautiful; a cultural tradition that is something to be revered and passed on to future generations.

If you are interested in learning to play the bagpipes, please contact me for a consultation.

Instruction F.A.Q.
What will I need?

To get started you will first need a quality practice chanter. I will provide all the necessary learning materials.

What do you charge?
30 minute instruction: $20.00 per session

How often should I take lessons?
I recommend one lesson per week if possible. I do have some long-distance students who attend bi-weekly or monthly lessons as well.

How much should I practice?The begining student should practice at least 20 minutes a day, while more advanced students should be practicing up to 45 minutes or a hour several times a week.